Game-based learning aims to combine games and learning, in which process games can makes learning more engaging and interactive. The reason why game-based learning is effective is that it can motivate students to master the knowledge. I have experienced some game-based classes.

When I was in high school, my English teacher divided the classmates into two groups according to the seats. The teacher set the rules about how each group can accumulate scores and designed many games and competitions which are compatible with the textbook knowledge. At the beginning of each class, the teacher would ask some students about the content we learned during last class, and if one student provides the right answer he/she can earn one score for his/her group. Motivated by the mechanism, I can still recall how every student was willing to review before the class began. What’s more, such contests can also cultivate us to be cooperative with others. The members of a group not only cares about himself/herself but also concerns about others. They can help each other to learn the knowledge for the bigger good of the whole group. In this way students can learn teamwork and are ready to contribute to the whole group.

Game-based learning is recommended because it not only boosts the process of learning knowledge but also cultivates students in other important aspects.